A Special Note of Thanks
Women’s Support Services (WSS) is looking forward to the 13th annual Trade Secrets event in May 2013 and extends its thanks to Bunny Williams, our honorary chair, Elaine LaRoche, our generous host, and the countless community volunteers, vendors and underwriters who make this event possible. Proceeds from past events have helped WSS purchase a new building, establish significant funds for emergency financial assistance to clients in need and provide ongoing services to the local community.
The mission of Women’s Support Services is to create a community free of domestic violence and abuse through intervention, prevention, and education. We offer free, confidential, client-centered services focused on safety, support, advocacy, and community outreach.
Women’s Support Services (WSS) is a non-profit organization that has provided critical services to victims of domestic violence and abuse in the towns of Salisbury, Canaan, Falls Village, Cornwall, Kent, Sharon and nearby New York and Massachusetts since 1981. Our services include: a 24-hour crisis hotline; short term emergency shelter; individual support counseling for adults and children; legal, medical and social service advocacy; support groups; and community education and prevention programs. All WSS services are free of charge and totally confidential.
From July 2011 through June 2012,
- WSS worked with 699 individuals (656 adults and 43 children).
- WSS responded to 488 crisis contacts (phone calls and walk-ins).
- WSS provided 551 individual counseling sessions for persons in our service area.
- WSS provided short term shelter to 17 individuals and referred 30 individuals to long term or alternative shelter programs.
- During that period, 31 individuals (16 adults and 15 children) attended support group sessions totaling 174 contacts.
- WSS provided clients with 1,008 units of information and referrals.
- Our community educator and staff were active in the schools and with community groups, reaching 4,352 participants.
Through our car donation program, Calling All Cars, we were able to transfer ownership of 5 cars to local residents in need.
For more information about WSS call (860) 364-1080 or visit our website